mobile +27 82 557 7927
Koos Pretorius is an executive in the corporate commercial department at ENSafrica which is the largest department of its kind in Africa. He specialises in M&A, hostile take-overs and corporate restructures.
He has acted for sector and industry leaders in renewable energy, oil and gas, banking, insurance, media, communications, retail, mining, transport and logistics, property, gaming, hotel/leisure and private equity.
Koos’ experience includes commercial contracts, company law, corporate structuring and regulatory compliance. He frequently interacts with regulators who supervise M&A activity in South Africa such as the Takeover Regulation Panel, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, the South African competition authorities, the SA banking regulator and the SA Financial Services Board. Koos has extensive take-over experience, having assisted in hostile take-over bids, complex schemes of arrangement, and in transactions where companies and their shareholders enter into more sophisticated arrangements aimed at achieving specific strategic imperatives.
He is a past member of the Ethics Committee of the Cape Law Society and has acted as a presenter of certain modules of the LLM programme on advanced company law at the University of Cape Town and the University of the Western Cape. He is a regular contributor to various legal and commercial publications.
Koos is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Corporate Commercial: M&A (South Africa)
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Corporate Commercial: M&A (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2018, 2017 – Mining (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2018, 2017 – Corporate, M&A; 2016 – Corporate (South Africa)
- BA (Stellenbosch University)
- LLB (Stellenbosch University)
- Leadership in Professional Service Firms (Harvard Business School)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa