Rob Scott is an Executive in ENSafrica’s Dispute Resolution practice and heads up the firm’s Insurance Practice Group. He is a Fellow of the Insurance Institute of South Africa (FIISA) and is admitted to practice in both South Africa and the Seychelles.
He has decades of experience in insurance, construction and commercial litigation/alternative dispute resolution, has worked in the insurance industry and is experienced in the application of both the common and civil laws.
Rob acts for insureds, reinsurers and insurers, across all lines of insurance business, including assets all risks and business interruption; construction and engineering; cyber; financial lines covers inclusive of directors and officers liability and commercial crimes; goods in transit; on-demand insurance guarantees, professional indemnity and riot, strike and political violence. His particular speciality is construction and engineering. Rob also advises in relation to cell-captive structures.
Most recently he has been substantially involved in Covid-19 business interruption claims, riot and political violence claims arising out of civil unrest and claims attendant upon local floods. He has over his career been involved in a number of high profile cases in the fields of auditors liability, tendering and administrative justice, defamation and construction insurance guarantees. Rob has also been involved in a number of cross border construction/mining arbitration disputes.
He is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020 - Insurance; 2020, 2019 – Construction (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2022, 2021, 2020, 2018 – Construction; 2023 – Dispute Resolution (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019 - Litigation (South Africa)
- Acritas Stars Independently Rated Lawyer 2018 and 2019
- Attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Attorney-at-Law of the Supreme Court of Seychelles (non-practising roll)
- Fellow of the Insurance Institute of South Africa
- Accredited Commercial Mediator and member of the President’s Panel of Mediators of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Member of the RICS training team for the RICS Diploma in Adjudication in the Construction Industry
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Insurers (CII)
- Member of the South African Association of Engineering Insurers (SAAEI)
- Member of the Society for Construction Law (South Africa)
- BA LLB (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Diploma in Insurance (Dip CII) (Chartered Institute of Insurers)
- Diploma in Marine Insurance (Practical Maritime Studies)
- Diploma in Human Rights (University of Johannesburg)
- Course Certificate in Construction Project Management (University of Columbia in the City of New York)