Waldo Steyn is an Executive in ENSafrica’s Intellectual Property (“IP”) practice, where he heads up the commercial IP team. He has focused on IP law since 2001, when he started his legal career in South Africa.
Waldo has acted for clients in various industries, including the fast-moving consumer goods, financial services, insurance, high-end fashion, retail, automotive, food and beverage, technology, media, and pharmaceuticals industries.
He has extensive experience in IP-related matters throughout Africa and the Middle East, having managed all aspects of the clearance, protection, enforcement and exploitation of IP rights throughout these regions. He has worked in South Africa, the United Kingdom, Jersey (the Channel Islands) and the United Arab Emirates.
Waldo’s experience includes providing clients with strategic advice on brand development, protection, maintenance and enforcement, focusing on providing clients with practical, commercially focused advice.
His practice focuses on the commercialisation of IP and the IP aspects of commercial transactions. In this regard, he advises clients on creating value in their organisations through the creation, management and exploitation of their IP assets. This includes advising clients on the structuring of their IP management, as well as supporting the firm’s tax department in matters involving IP rights, including transfer pricing rules applicable to intangible assets.
Waldo is recognised as a recommended/leading lawyer by:
- Client Choice Awards 2019, 2018, 2017 – Intellectual Property: Copyright (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 – Intellectual Property - Recommended /Key Lawyer (South Africa)
- IAM Patent 1000 2021, 2020, 2019 - Transactions (South Africa)
- World Trademark Review (WTR) 2022, 2021,2020, 2019 - Enforcement and Litigation and Prosecution and Strategy (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2022 - Intellectual Property Law (South Africa)
He is a member of the following IP associations:
- INTA – International Trademark Association
- LES – Licensing Executives Society
- SAIIPL – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law
- SARIMA – Southern African Research and Innovation Management Association
area of expertiseINTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (IP)
- BA Law (Stellenbosch University)
- LLB (Stellenbosch University)
- LLM (Stellenbosch University)
- MBA (University of Wollongong)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa