mobile +230 5729 9990
Thierry Koenig is Head of ENSafrica in Mauritius, the oldest and largest law firm in Mauritius which in 2020 celebrated its 200 years practice on the island.
Thierry is the first lawyer on the African continent to have been selected to become member of the prestigious International Association of Defence Counsel (IADC) and is the current President of The Mauritius Law Society.
Thierry specialises in corporate matters, capital markets, M&A, banking and financing and as well as complex commercial litigation, arbitration and insolvency including a wide experience in enforcement of securities.
He is the standing legal adviser to numerous large Mauritian conglomerates including the largest commercial bank and insurance company. Thierry is regularly involved in cross border transactions as well as capital markets and corporate structuring. He has acted in several high profile cases of national importance and numerous large commercial, civil and constitutional cases before the Supreme Court of Mauritius. He has been involved in over a dozen appeals before the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.
Thierry launched the fiduciary and management practice of the Mauritius Office which was the first law firm to be involved in the Financial Services Sector in Mauritius since its inception in 1992. He also launched the specialised IP practice as well as the specialised Insolvency practice. He was involved in the discussions on the 2000 Companies Act, as for the 2009 Insolvency legislation and the National Corporate Governance Guidelines. He chaired the Working Group to review the Takeover Regulations and was involved with the International Arbitration Regulations and is the current President of the Mauritius Law Society. He was made Senior Attorney on June 2010 and was at the time the youngest Attorney to have been elevated as a “SA”
He is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide 2022, 2021, 2020, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded (Mauritius)
- Chambers Global Guide 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – General Business Law: Dispute Resolution (Mauritius)
- Chambers Global Guide 2022, 2020, 2019 - General Business Law (Mauritius)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2022, 2021 - Leading Firms - Leading Individual; 2020 - Leading Firms - Recommended / Key Lawyer; 2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Legal Market Overview; (Mauritius)
- Director on numerous boards of directors
- President of The Mauritius Law Society
- Member of the Council for Vocational Legal Education (CVLE)
- Member of the Institute of Legal Studies (IJLS)
- President Steering Committee of the Practitioners’ Group of the Mauritius International Arbitration Centre (MIAC)
- Member of the International Association of Defence Counsel (IADC)
area of expertiseINSURANCE SHIPPING, PORTS AND LOGISTICS TAX INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (IP) FORENSICS REAL ESTATE / PROPERTY BANKING AND FINANCE CORPORATE COMMERCIAL INSOLVENCY, RESTRUCTURING AND BUSINESS RESCUE INDIA COMPETITION/ANTITRUST DISPUTE RESOLUTION ENVIRONMENT PROJECT DEVELOPMENT AND PROJECT FINANCE AGRIBUSINESS INFRASTRUCTURE INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION ENERGY EQUITY CAPITAL MARKETS DEBT CAPITAL MARKETS
- Senior Attorney (Maitrise en Droit)