mobile +27 83 443 3221
Theuns Steyn is an Executive at ENSafrica in the Corporate Commercial department and specialises in corporate commercial work with a particular focus on mining, M&A, corporate structures and general transactional work. He has particular expertise in international M&A in the mining industry.
He has acted for both listed and unlisted entities in the uranium, gold mining, diamonds and rare earth sectors, property, food, and transport and entertainment industries.
Theuns is a member of the Law Societies of the Cape, KwaZulu Natal and Northern Provinces. He is a former councillor and president of the Cape Law Society and was the vice-chairman of the Attorneys Fidelity Fund. He was appointed by the Minister of Justice as one of the first group of commissioners for the Small Claims Court. He was a member of the Rules Board for Courts of Law, the Maritime Law Associations of South Africa (MLA), Australia and New Zealand and was president of the Cape Chapter of the MLA.
He has held lectures on Latin, private international law and Roman law at the University of the Free State, on charter parties and bills of lading for a Master’s course in International Trade at the University of Stellenbosch and on the interpretation of fiscal legislation for the master’s tax course at the University of Cape Town.
Theuns is recognised as a leading and/or recommended lawyer by:
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide 2020, 2019, 2018 – Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Corporate (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® – Lawyer of the Year 2019 – Corporate, Cape Town
- BA (Hons) (University of the Free State)
- LLB (University of the Free State)
- Post Graduate Diploma, Maritime Law (University of Cape Town)
- Post Graduate Diploma, Tax (University of South Africa)
- Admitted as an attorney, notary and conveyancer of the High Court of South Africa