Stephen Levetan is an Executive Consultant in ENSafrica’s Natural Resources and Environment practice. In particular, Stephen advises clients in regard to environmental impact assessments, appeals and reviews thereof, and environmental due diligences. He also advises clients on obtaining environmental permits, on water law issues, and on many issues affecting the agribusiness sector. He also has experience in assisting clients with environmental law enforcement issues. He has also advised clients on both environmental and land use planning issues involved with renewable energy projects. He has experience in land use planning issues generally, including sectional titles.
Stephen’s previous litigation experience includes dealing with delictual claims, professional malpractice, insurance, building and construction, intellectual property, property (including all facets of land use planning), sectional titles, general contractual matters, as well as tax litigation support.
Stephen is a director in the firm’s natural resources and environmental law department, and previously lead the environmental law department for some 8 years. He is also a qualified arbitrator and member of the Environmental Lawyers Association. He has also served as a Commissioner of the Small Claims Court for more than 30 years, continues to do so and also serves on the Cape Town Small Claims Court Advisory Board.
Stephen is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Best Lawyers® 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Environmental (South Africa); Environmental Lawyer of the Year 2021 (South Africa)
area of expertiseINSURANCE ENVIRONMENT NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENT AGRIBUSINESS
- BA (University of Cape Town)
- LLB (University of Cape Town)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Marine and Environmental Law (University of Cape Town)
- Post Graduate course in Land Use Planning Law (University of Cape Town)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa