mobile +230 5980 8471
Sébastien Thouvenot is an executive at ENSafrica in Mauritius and is a member of the Paris Bar. He specialises in corporate commercial transactions spanning Europe and Africa and has acted for clients in the public and private sectors, including multinationals, states, international financing institutions, investment funds and banks.
Sébastien has experience in a wide variety of transactions encompassing the oil and gas, mining, telecommunications, energy and infrastructure sectors. His extensive global experience includes advising on legal issues relating to various projects, such as the acquisition of oil distribution networks; the development, financing, sale and acquisition of wind and solar farms; the development of fiber optic networks; the renegotiation of railways and electricity concessions; as well as providing general legal advice to mining exploration and exploitation companies.
Sébastien’s experience further encompasses various types of corporate and commercial contracts relating to acquisitions, drafting and review of legal and regulatory frameworks, project finance, privatisation and restructuring of state-owned companies and public private partnerships. He has specific knowledge of business laws, such as OHADA, and regulatory frameworks, especially those applicable in Francophone Africa.
Sébastien previously worked for a leading law firm in Paris. He also lectured public law at the University of Savoy, France for two years and taught at the Montpellier Law School, France. In addition, Sébastien supervised a chronicle on Business Law in Africa for the International Business Law Journal and co-authored two books on the subject of OHADA laws, namely, Le droit uniforme africain des Affaires issu de l’OHADA and Business Law in Africa: OHADA and the harmonisation process. He is also the author of various other contributions relating to this field of law.
Sébastien is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – International Projects (expertise based abroad) (France)
- Chambers Global Guide 2018 – General Business Law (foreign expert for France) (Mauritius); 2016 – Projects and Energy (Mauritius); 2015 – Projects and Energy (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2018 – Legal Market Overview (Mauritius)
- Jeune Afrique Top 50 Lawyers in Francophone Africa 2018
- Master’s degree in Administrative Law (Montpellier Law School)
- Postgraduate diploma in International Law (Montpellier Law School)
- PhD in OHADA Laws (Montpellier Law School)
- Member of the Paris Bar