mobile +256 772 785 332
Phillip Karugaba is a Partner at ENSafrica in Uganda. His core practice specialises in capital markets, M&A, private equity, energy, project development, infrastructure, construction and real estate law.
Recognised by respected rankings agencies IFLR1000 and Chambers and Partners as one of the top corporate lawyers in Uganda, Phillip supports clients with complex corporate and financial transactions across a broad range of sectors.
Over the past 25 years, Phillip has gained extensive experience in M&A and capital markets, including cross-border listings, private equity and financing deals. In addition, he has been involved in legislative changes in Uganda, including drafting laws, rules and regulations, such as aspects of the Ugandan Capital Markets Regulations.
Phillip has also previously served as a lecturer at the faculty of law, Makerere University. He is a member of the Uganda Law Society and the East Africa Law Society, and serves on the board of directors of a number of companies.
Phillip is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide; Banking, Capital markets, (including Energy and Infrastructure), M&A, Private equity, Project finance – 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 (Uganda)
- Chambers Global Guide 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – General Business Law (Uganda)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019 – Leading Firm; 2018 – Legal market Overview (Uganda)
- LLB (Makerere University)
- Diploma in Legal Practice (The Law Development Centre)
- LLM (Queen’s College, Cambridge University)
- Admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda