Philip Geromont is an Executive in ENSafrica’s Corporate Commercial practice. He specialises in cross-border M&A and, more generally, in corporate and commercial matters.
He has acted for a wide range of European and North American clients conducting business in South Africa, particularly in the automotive, aerospace, banking, cement, construction, defence, media, nuclear, retail, transport and wine and spirits sectors. He also assists South African and European clients in relation to their business dealings in French-speaking Africa, especially in the banking, energy, mining and telecoms sectors.
Philip’s experience includes matters related to competition law, including merger control and cartel investigations. He is a past member of the Competition Law Committee of the Cape Law Society.
Philip is the Vice-Chairman (and immediate past Chairman) of the French South African Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
In 2021, Philip was appointed Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (Knight of the French National Order of Merit) by the President of France. This prestigious award was granted in recognition of his achievements in strengthening South African and French business relationships.
In 2022, Philip was appointed Honorary Consul of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg in Cape Town.
He co-authored the book L’Entreprise Face à la Mondialisation: Opportunités et Risques – Stratégies Juridiques (Business and Globalisation: Opportunities and Risk – Legal Strategies), published in 2006. This book was one of three finalists for the Prix du Cercle Montesquieu in 2007.
He is fluent in English, French and German.
Philip is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by the following reputable rating agencies and their publications:
- The Legal 500 Guide to Outstanding Lawyers 2010 – Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions (South Africa)
- IFLR 1000 Financial and Corporate Guide: Leading Lawyer 2010 – Competition
- Best Lawyers® 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019 – Corporate Law (South Africa)
area of expertiseCORPORATE COMMERCIAL
- Master of Laws (with distinction) (Université Paris II – Assas)
- Degree in Private International Law and International Commercial Law (Université Paris I – Sorbonne)
- BProc (University of South Africa)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Taxation (University of South in Africa)
- Certificate in Advanced Corporate Law and Securities Law (University of South Africa)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Avocat au Barreau de Paris