mobile +27 83 640 1994
Matthew Morrison is an Executive in ENSafrica's corporate commercial practice. He specialises in corporate finance, financial services law and regulation (with a focus on banking and insurance), as well as general commercial law, private equity and M&A.
Matthew has experience in all aspects of private equity, including legal due diligence in anticipation of acquisitions by funds of portfolio companies, investment structuring, regulatory approvals, management incentives, recapitalisations following on altered investment horizons or other changed circumstances, disposal of portfolio companies, IPO’s and other exit strategies including the use of warranty and indemnity insurance to facilitate clean exits by funds.
He has acted for various listed companies, including retail and investment banks, insurance companies and government institutions, as well as a number of private companies and individuals.
Matthew’s experience includes previously working as a solicitor in London, in financial markets regulation and in the Lloyd’s of London insurance market. Matthew has extensive experience in the listing and delisting of companies from the stock exchange operated by the JSE Limited, mergers and demergers, schemes of arrangement involving large South African companies, broad-based black economic empowerment transactions, as well as advising on general commercial law aspects of listed and unlisted companies.
He is also a co-author of the South African chapter in various annual editions of the International Comparable Legal Guide’s Mergers and Acquisitions publication and other industry publications.
Matthew is recorded on the role of solicitors in the Supreme Court of England and Wales and is a member of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces in South Africa.
Matthew is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Best Lawyers® 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 – Corporate (South Africa); 2023, 2022 - Mergers and Acquisitions Law (South Africa)
- BBusSc (Honours) (University of Cape Town)
- LLB (University of Cape Town)
- Advanced Certificate in Company Law I (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Advanced Certificate in Company Law II (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales