mobile +27 83 640 1994
Matthew Morrison is an Executive in ENSafrica's Corporate Commercial department. He specialises in corporate finance, financial services law and regulation (with a focus on insurance), as well as general commercial law, private equity and M&A.
He has acted for various listed companies, including retail and investment banks, insurance companies and government institutions, as well as a number of private companies and individuals.
Matthew’s experience includes previously working as a solicitor in London, in financial markets regulation and in the Lloyd’s of London insurance market. Matthew has extensive experience in the listing and delisting of companies from the stock exchange operated by the JSE Limited, mergers and demergers, schemes of arrangement involving large South African companies, broad-based black economic empowerment transactions, as well as advising on general commercial law aspects of listed and unlisted companies.
In addition to Matthew’s general commercial and insurance practice, he provides coverage opinions to both underwriters and policyholders, and also has experience in the field of warranty and indemnity insurance in the South African M&A market.
He is also a co-author of the South African chapter in the 2017 and 2018 editions of the International Comparable Legal Guide’s Mergers and Acquisitions publication and other industry publications.
Matthew is recorded on the non-practising roll of solicitors in the Supreme Court of England and Wales and is a member of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces in South Africa.
Matthew is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Best Lawyers® 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 – Corporate; 2020 - Mergers and Acquisitions (South Africa)
- BBusSc (Hons) (University of Cape Town)
- LLB (University of Cape Town)
- Advanced Certificate in Company Law I (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Advanced Certificate in Company Law II (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales