mobile +27 82 787 9496
Kate Pitman is an Executive at ENSafrica in the Shipping, Ports and Logistics department and specialises in maritime law.
Kate has acted for the owners and operators of vessels, their insurers (including Hull underwriters and Protection and Indemnity Clubs), mortgagee banks, ships’ agents as well as clearing and forwarding agents.
Her experience includes the processing and defending of maritime claims in the high court in the exercise of its admiralty jurisdiction as well as logistics related claims in the high court in the exercise of its parochial jurisdiction. She also advises and deals with issues relating to charterparties, contracts of affreightment, bills of lading, waybills and on the shipping aspects of commodity trading deals. She also has experience in protecting the interests of owners and operators of vessels in respect of maritime casualties in the event of sinkings, groundings, collisions, marine pollution, salvage and general average situations.
Kate is a member of the Maritime Law Association of South Africa and is an affiliate of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers.
She is ranked as a recommended lawyer/recommended by:
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Shipping and Transport - Recommended / Key Lawyer (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2019 – Shipping (South Africa)
- Chambers Global Guide 2022, 2021, 2020 – Shipping (South Africa)
area of expertiseSHIPPING, PORTS AND LOGISTICS
- BA (University of Cape Town)
- LLB (University of Cape Town)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa