mobile +27 83 453 5373
Justin Balkin is an Executive at ENSafrica in the Competition / Anti-Trust department.
Justin is involved in all aspects of competition law, including merger controland behavioural issues, in South Africa and in numerous other African jurisdictions with antitrust regimes (including COMESA).
Justin’s mergers experience includes advising on transaction structures, merger transaction structures, statutory merger notifications, cartel investigations, abuse of dominance, leniency policy, competition law training. prosecuting and defending complaints, assisting with dawn raids, exemption applications and market inquiries, compiling merger notifications and the antitrust components of hostile takeover bids.
From a behavioural perspective, Justin has been involved in various contested proceedings in relation to cartel conduct, prohibited practices and abuses of dominance. He has also advised clients on the Competition Commission's corporate leniency policy and has extensive experience in performing competition law compliance reviews and competition law training.
Justin has also been actively involved in the Competition Law Sub-Committee of the Law Society. He is the author of several articles on competition law and is an editor of the Butterworth’s Competition Law Report. He is a member of the Cape Law Society and the Law Society of the Northern Province
Justin is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018,2017, 2016, 2015 – Competition/Antitrust (South Africa)
- Legal 500 EMEA 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Competition - Recommended / Key Lawyer (South Africa)
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Competition/Anti-trust (South Africa)
- Euromoney Expert Guides – Guide to the World’s Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers 2016 – Competition (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2019, 2015 Expert – Competition (South Africa)
area of expertiseCOMPETITION/ANTITRUST
- BCom (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa