John Zieff is an Executive at ENSafrica in the Dispute Resolution practice.
John specialises in contractual disputes, corporate disputes (with particular emphasis on director’s fiduciary responsibilities and shareholder rights), pension law, constitutional law and administrative law.
He has extensive experience in the regulatory fields of various sectors, including mining, gambling, energy, agriculture and pharmaceuticals, and has represented clients in their engagements with regulators on various matters.
John has acted for industry leaders in the agricultural, mining, pharmaceutical, retail and gaming sectors of the economy.
He has been involved in a number of high-profile matters over the years in his area of speciality. These include leading cases in the field of pension law, constitutional law and administrative law.
He advises in regard to trustees’ duties in terms of the Pension Funds Act and advises pension funds in relation to claims by members and beneficiaries.
John has also represented clients in high-profile tax litigation, and also has extensive experience in arbitrations.
John is a corporate member of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) African Users Council.
He is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, (2007–2018) – Dispute Resolution (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, (2014-2018) – Dispute Resolution (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2023, 2022, 2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Litigation; 2017 – Litigation Lawyer of the Year (South Africa) and Litigation Lawyer of the year for 2020
area of expertiseRETIREMENT FUNDS DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- BA (University of Cape Town)
- LLB (Magna Cum Laude) (University of Cape Town)
- Leading Professional Service Firms Course (Harvard Business School)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa