mobile +27 82 310 1982
Jan Norval is a Senior Associate in ENSafrica's Employment practice. He specialises in collective and individual labour disputes, as well as collective bargaining, labour policy and employment equity.
In the public sector, he has acted for municipal entities and government departments and in the private sector, for clients in the mining, transport, financial and manufacturing industries.
Jan’s experience includes advising clients on retrenchments and dismissal tactics and employment statutes, drafting pleadings in the CCMA, Labour Court and Labour Appeal Court, as well as preparing plans of action for arbitrations and disciplinary enquiries.
In addition, Jan has drafted opinions on the rights of trade unions for employers and advised clients on strategies for trade union interaction. He has also assisted in disputes with the Department of Labour regarding employment equity reporting as well as litigation regarding “deeming” provisions in the Labour Relations Act.
Jan is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2022, 2021, 2020 – Employment - Rising Star (South Africa)
area of expertiseEMPLOYMENT
- LLB (University of Pretoria)
- LLM (Leiden University, Netherlands)
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa