mobile +27 82 772 3548
Gary Oertel is an Executive in ENSafrica’s Insolvency, Restructuring and Business Rescue department. He specialises in formal and informal distressed restructuring, insolvencies (including insolvency-related liquidation), business rescue, insolvency inquiries, liquidation applications and section 155 compromises.
Gary has advised major banking institutions in South Africa, development finance institutions and other creditors in relation to insolvency, business rescue proceedings and liquidations. He has also advised the boards of a number of listed companies in respect of their rights and duties and has assisted a major retailer with its informal restructuring. Gary’s experience includes cross-border work, especially on the African continent. This includes advising a major creditor bank in respect of a large administration that spanned Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
Gary is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 – Restructuring/Insolvency (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2019, 2017, 2016 – Insolvency and Reorganisation (South Africa) and Insolvency and Reorganization Lawyer of the year for 2020
area of expertiseINSOLVENCY, RESTRUCTURING AND BUSINESS RESCUE
- BA (University of KwaZulu-Natal)
- LLB (University of KwaZulu-Natal)
- Diploma in Insolvency Law and Practice
- Admitted as an attorney and conveyancer of the High Court of South Africa - with right of appearance