mobile +27 83 632 1445
Gaelyn Scott is an Executive at ENSafrica. She heads up the firm’s Intellectual Property (“IP”) department. Gaelyn specialises in strategic brand management and the enforcement of IP rights, both locally and internationally, with extensive experience in Africa.
She is experienced in litigation and dispute resolution relating to IP rights, including trade mark infringement, passing-off and unlawful competition matters, trade mark oppositions, copyright litigation, franchising and licensing disputes, corporate name and domain name objections and Advertising Regulatory Board complaints. She is a leading expert in the ARB field in South Africa.
Gaelyn advises clients in relation to the management and enforcement of their IP portfolios and manages several large worldwide trade mark portfolios, having significant experience in the insurance, banking and FMCG sectors. She provides legal services to several clients on a pro bono basis and is an adjudicator on the domain name dispute panel of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law. Gaelyn has been published widely in her field of expertise, both locally and internationally.
Gaelyn has been rated as a leading practitioner in the field of trade mark enforcement and contentious IP matters and is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Intellectual Property (South Africa)
- Chambers Global Guide 2020, 2019 ,2018, 2017, 2016 – Intellectual Property (South Africa)
- Client Choice Awards 2019, 2018, 2017 – Intellectual Property: Trade marks (South Africa)
- World Trademark Review’s 2019, 2017 WIPR Leaders – Leading IP practitioner (South Africa)
- Managing IP: IP Stars Handbook 2019 – Trade mark strategy and counselling, Trade mark Litigation and Trade mark office proceedings (South Africa), 2016 – Trade marks (South Africa)
- The Best Lawyer 2020, 2019 – Intellectual Property (South Africa)
- The 2018 and 2017 Acritas Stars Database and Report
- Managing IP: Top 250 Women in IP 2016 (One of only two ranked for South Africa)
- The Inaugural World IP Review WIPR Leaders 2016 – Trade Marks (South Africa)
Gaelyn is a member of the following IP associations:
- LES – Licensing Executives Society
- INTA – International Trademark Association – Law and Practice Middle East and Africa Subcommittee, Bulletin Committee (2012)
- ECTA – European Communities Trade Mark Association
- SAIIPL – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law, associate member, member of the Trade Mark Law Committee
area of expertiseINTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (IP)
- BA (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Adjudicator on the Domain Name Dispute Panel