Eric le Grange
Eric le Grange is an Executive and Head of ENSafrica’s project development and project finance practice. He has over 28 years’ experience which includes:
project development and project finance including project structuring, project related regulatory and legislative advice, project procurement, as well as all project agreements in infrastructure (roads, rail, water), energy, oil and gas (including renewable energy), mining and public private partnerships.
His experience includes acting for the South African Government (National Treasury), many of South Africa’s large corporate entities, international developers and investors, IPPs, gas pipeline owners, utilities, state-owned enterprises, financial institutions (commercial lenders and DFIs, local and international) as lead counsel on projects developed, promoted or funded both in South Africa and internationally.
Eric has led many projects in South Africa relating to regulatory (procurement and establishment), project interface and project finance focused projects. Regular tasks undertaken and completed include
- conceptual project development structuring, interface identification and risk identification and allocation;
- serving on project and steering committees;
- drafting, negotiating and managing Government Support and Investment Incentives;
- reviewing, drafting, commenting and negotiating project agreements (including concessions, joint development agreements, joint operating agreements, exiting agreements);
- drafting, reviewing, amending, negotiating, settling and advising on all aspects relating to project finance lending agreements (clubs, syndications, sub-participations), risk allocation for finance ability and closing, including project security and sponsor support;
- reviewing and the provision of ancillary advisory services regarding suspensive conditions on agreements and the closing thereof;
- reviewing and commenting on projects documents for financeable risk allocations;
- reviewing of opinions issued by borrower’s/project legal counsel;
- issuing and delivering of lender legal opinions; and
- implementing and perfecting the project finance security packages.
Eric is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide (including Energy and Infrastructure), Project development, Project finance – 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 (South Africa)
- Chambers Global Guide 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Projects and Energy (South Africa); 2017, 2016 – Projects and Energy (Africa-wide)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Projects and Infrastructure; 2023 - Construction (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 – Project Finance and Development Practice; 2023 - Oil and Gas Law (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2019 – Energy, Project Finance (South Africa)
- BA (Stellenbosch University)
- LLB (Stellenbosch University)
- Admitted as an attorney, notary and conveyancer of the High Court of South Africa