mobile +27 82 788 0827
Era Gunning is an Executive in ENSafrica’s Banking and Finance department.
She is an admitted solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia and has advised various clients, including leading banks, on the practical application of international anti-money laundering initiatives and statutory compliance issues.
Era’s experience also includes the drafting and perusal of all legal documents such as commercial leases, as well as advising on consumer and data protection.
Era has conducted numerous workshops and seminars in respect of data and consumer protection for clients, including banks, insurers, credit providers, pharmaceutical companies, medical schemes, government agencies, parastatals and direct marketers.
She has drafted numerous opinions on data and consumer protection, as well as ‘”Dos and Do nots” policies for many institutions. She was a speaker on South Africa’s Protection of Personal Information Act ("POPI") at the Annual Government Compliance Seminar in June 2015 and has been quoted in various media publications as a POPI expert.
Era is an ad hoc lecturer at the University of the Witwatersrand for postgraduate students, and has also authored the data protection chapter in Juta’s Company Secretarial Practice.
Era was awarded the New South Wales Law Society Prize for Ethics and Accounting in 2010.
- BCom (with honours) (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB (cum laude) (University of South Africa)
- LLM Banking Law (with merit) (University of London)
- Graduate diploma in legal practice (with merit) (Australian National University)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia