Celeste Coles is an Executive in ENSafrica’s Mine and Occupational Health and Safety practice.
Her experience includes advising clients on all aspects of mine and occupational health and safety legislative requirements. She has successfully applied for exemptions in terms of the Mine Health and Safety Act, 1996 (“MHSA”) and regularly assists clients with the preparation of representations following recommendations for the imposition of administrative fines in terms of the MHSA.
Celeste has also assisted in the institution of review applications in the Labour Court regarding decisions to impose administrative fines on employers and has assisted clients in the conduct of appeal proceedings in the Labour Court regarding decisions by the Chief Inspectors of Mines. She has also advised clients on instructions issued in terms of sections 54 and 55 of the MHSA.
In addition, Celeste has advised clients in respect of prohibition orders in terms of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993 (“OHASA”), as well as the submission of exemption applications in terms of the OHASA.
Celeste has appeared on behalf of clients during investigation and inquiry proceedings in terms of the MHSA and the OHASA. She has also assisted with the drafting of letters of appointment in terms of both the MHSA and the OHASA, and has conducted audits on managerial systems implemented by employers in both the mining and non-mining sectors.
Celeste has presented a number of papers at annual seminars on mine and occupational health and safety.
Celeste is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2023, 2022, 2021 "Up and Coming" Energy and Natural Resources: Mining, Health and Safety (South Africa)
- Who's Who Legal 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Mining (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2023 – Mining (South Africa)
area of expertiseMINE AND OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
- BA (Stellenbosch University)
- LLB (Stellenbosch University)
- Certificate in Prospecting and Mining Law (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa