mobile +27 82 557 7927
Koos Pretorius is an Executive in the corporate commercial department at ENSafrica, which is the largest department of its kind in Africa. He also leads the corporate commercial business unit of the firm where he focuses mainly on client relationships with certain key clients and strategic initiatives.
He specialises in M&A, hostile takeovers and corporate restructures.
Koos has acted for sector and industry leaders in renewable energy, oil and gas, banking, insurance, media, communications, retail, mining, transport and logistics, property, gaming, hotel/leisure and private equity.
His experience includes commercial contracts, company law, corporate structuring and regulatory compliance. He frequently interacts with regulators who supervise M&A activity in South Africa such as the Takeover Regulation Panel, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, the South African competition authorities, the SA banking regulator and the SA financial services regulator.
Koos has extensive takeover experience, having assisted in hostile takeover bids, complex schemes of arrangement, and in transactions where companies and their shareholders enter into more sophisticated arrangements aimed at achieving specific strategic outcomes.
He is also experienced in ESG investments and initiatives on behalf of private individuals, family offices and private equity funds.
Koos has taken responsibility for many due diligence investigations and M&A activity over the past 30 years and a number of them have been in anticipation of an IPO, business combination or other M&A activity between listed companies, including listed mining companies.
He is a past member of the Ethics Committee of the Cape Law Society and, has presented modules of the LLM programme on advanced company law at the University of Cape Town and the University of the Western Cape. He is a regular contributor to various legal and commercial publications.
Koos is recognised as a recommended/ leading lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Corporate Commercial: M&A (South Africa).
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded (South Africa).
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2022, 2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Corporate, Commercial and M&A - Recommended / Key Lawyer (South Africa).
- Who’s Who Legal 2019, 2018, 2017 – Mining (South Africa).
- Best Lawyers®️ 2022, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 – Corporate, M&A; 2016 – Corporate (South Africa).
- BA (Stellenbosch University)
- LLB (Stellenbosch University)
- Leadership in Professional Service Firms (Harvard Business School)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa