George van Niekerk
mobile +27 82 414 4298
George van Niekerk is an Executive at ENSafrica and Head of the Dispute Resolution practice. He specialises in commercial litigation. George acts for an array of listed and large private companies. He represents clients in regard to exchange control issues with the South African Reserve Bank, and concerning regulatory and issues with the Financial Services Conduct Authority. His current matters include advising clients in regard to the recovery of debt due by Government and para-statals, unlawful competition, and breaches of intellectual property.
He has extensive experience in insurance law, such as claims under directors’ & officers’ liability, professional indemnity, and public liability policies, and advising insurers in regard to the wording of their policies.
He advises clients in regard to anti-corruption measures, and pursuing and defending criminal prosecutions in instances of significant white collar crime.
He previously served as Councillor and Vice-President of the Cape Law Society, Commissioner of the Small Claims Court, member of the Board of Control of the Attorneys Fidelity Fund, and chairman of the committee having oversight of the overall spending of both the Law Society of South Africa and the Attorneys Fidelity Fund. He currently serves as chairman of the Contingency Fees committee of the Law Society of South Africa, and as a member of the Management Committee and Councillor of the Western Cape Legal Practice Council.
George was a contributing author to the Commercial Litigation edition of the European Lawyer published in 2012 and 2015.
George is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Recommended / Key Lawyer - Dispute Resolution (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Insurance and Litigation; 2023, 2022, 2021, 2018, 2016 – Litigation Lawyer of the Year (South Africa)
- Who's Who Legal 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Insurance and Reinsurance (South Africa)
- BA (Stellenbosch University)
- LLB (Stellenbosch University)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa