Jocelyn Katz is an Executive and Head of ENSafrica’s Competition / Anti-Trust practice. She specialises in all aspects of competition law, including mergers and the compilation of merger notifications, objections to mergers on behalf of interested parties, advising on transaction structures and complaint proceedings involving prohibited practices and abuses of dominance.
Jocelyn is an expert in all competition law aspects of large, complex multijurisdictional mergers for large global multinationals, navigating complex deals and negotiating remedies across multiple African jurisdictions. She is also experienced in local and international private equity acquisitions and disposals and has been involved in many local and international private equity transactions.
Jocelyn’s experience includes offering advice in terms of South Africa’s Corporate Leniency Policy, as well as on the running of various competition law audits and compliance education programmes for clients. Jocelyn has extensive experience in the complex competition law aspects of business rescue proceedings and has advised both acquirers and targets in the anti-trust elements of hostile takeover bids.
Jocelyn has filed merger notifications in a range of jurisdictions on the African continent including, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, Zambia, Kenya, COMESA, CEMAC, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Nigeria and Swaziland, and has also provided merger control advice in respect of various others such as Mozambique, Angola, Morocco and Egypt.
Jocelyn has acted in a range of industries, including the financial services, steel, insurance and property industries, as well as in the manufacturing, retail, telecommunications, mining, healthcare, FMCG and pharmaceutical sectors.
Jocelyn has written articles for Without Prejudice and Business Law and Tax Review and is an editor of the Butterworths Competition Law Reports.
Jocelyn is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Competition / Anti-Trust (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Competition “Leading Individual“ (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 – Competition/Anti-trust Law (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2019, 2015 Expert – Competition (South Africa)
- W@Competition 40 in their 40s 2019 – Notable Women Competition Professionals
- BA (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Certificate in Competition Law (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa