mobile +27 83 260 8778
Zeyn Bhyat is an Executive at ENSafrica and has in excess of 20 years’ post qualification experience. He practices as a cross-border transactional solicitor / attorney in the corporate commercial practice and specialises in private and public mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, corporate restructurings and cross-border transactions, particularly in Africa.
Zeyn has acted for sector and industry leaders in the financial services sector (particularly, banking, Islamic Finance and Insurance), property development and management, aviation, mining / natural resources, offshore private equity funds, advertising, media, broad-based black economic empowerment (B-BBEE) and hotel/leisure industries.
Zeyn is an expert in broad-based black economic empowerment (B-BBEE) advisory, regulatory and compliance , including strategic planning, as well as structuring, implementing and regulating transactions across a wide variety of industries in accordance with the B-BBEE legislation.
Zeyn’s experience includes cross-border/international transactions, commercial contracts, corporate advice and governance, corporate structuring, corporate finance, aviation finance and aviation asset acquisition, mining / natural resources joint ventures, private equity, and Islamic finance (structuring and development). Zeyn’s experience further extends to working closely with various in-country regulators supervising merger and acquisition activity in Sub-Saharan Africa, such as but not limited to (i) the South African Takeover Regulation Panel, (ii) the JSE Limited, (iii) the South African Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment Commission, (iv) various Southern African competition authorities, (v) the South African Prudential Authority, (vi) the South African Financial Services Conduct Authority, (vii) the Botswana Non-Bank Financial Institutions Regulatory Authority and (vii) various central banks in the region.
As part of his contribution to pro-bono activities, Zeyn acts as a commissioner in the Mitchell’s Plain Small Claims Court and is an advisory board member to the Mitchell’s Plain Small Claims Court. Zeyn currently acts as fiduciary to a number of registered public benefit organizations and regularly assists in their offering. He has previously lectured to members of the Black Lawyers Association on corporate law. Zeyn also presents seminars on Islamic finance. Zeyn is also an executive of the Cape Town Attorneys Association, an attorney’s interest body situated in the Western Cape, South Africa.
Zeyn is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- 2018 Africa Competition and Regulatory Team of the Year - Hosted by Legal Week (organisers of The British Legal Awards) and the Corporate Counsel Association of South Africa (CCASA). This award recognised our team's work on a single competition and financial services regulatory case with a significant African element to it that set new standards in the delivery of legal services, demonstrating our market-leading position. Zeyn was the financial services Regulatory Lead of a team of Africa's finest lawyers that worked on Africa’s largest insurance M&A transaction that entailed, among other things, undertaking and/or coordinating various competition (anti-trust) and insurance regulatory filings (in excess of 25 applications) in approximately 33 countries across Africa.
- BA (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB (University of Witwatersrand)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Competition Law (University of Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Courts of Justice of the Republic of Ireland (non-practicing)