mobile +27 82 210 2159
WhatsApp +27 82 210 2159
Lloyd Christie is Head of ENSafrica's Natural Resources and Environment department. He specialises in mining and environmental law, with a focus on providing mineral resource regulatory advice, including advising on resource finance projects, disposals and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, black economic empowerment transactions, strategic planning in relation to green field operations, resource disputes and lobbying regulators. He also advises on environmental regulation to the waste, water, nuclear, mining, banking and other industries affected by environmental legislation.
Lloyd’s experience includes lobbying government regarding environmental fiscal reform and developing new fossil fuel-based, nuclear and renewable energy facilities and maximising carbon opportunities under international treaties such as the Kyoto Protocol. Lloyd has extensive experience in advising on environmental impact assessments, matters involving industrial decommissioning and land contamination, mine closure and rehabilitation, environmental law related dispute resolution, mine health and safety and community engagement. Lloyd has also acquired a particular expertise in nuclear regulation in South Africa, advising the developer of third-generation nuclear technology, and has developed one of the leading carbon practices in South Africa, having advised on numerous Clean Development Mechanism projects.
Lloyd is a member of the Environmental Lawyers Association and the South African Clean Development Mechanism Association. He has also acted in the Labour Court, High Court and magistrate’s court. He co-authored the South African Country Chapter in the PLC Cross-border Environment Handbook 2010.
Lloyd is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 – Energy and Natural Resources: Mining; 2020 - Environment; 2016, 2015 – “up and coming” for Energy & Natural Resources: 2019 - Mining; 2016 – “up and coming” for Environment (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Mining; 2019 - Environment (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015 – Mining - Recommended / Key Lawyer (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 – Mining (South Africa)
- BA (North West University)
- LLB (North West University)
- LLM (North West University)
- Certificate of Attendance in Advanced International Trade Law (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as a conveyancer and as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa