Matthew Morrison is a director at ENSafrica in the corporate commercial department. He specialises in corporate finance, insurance law and regulation, as well as commercial contracts, private equity and mergers and acquisitions.
He has acted for various listed companies, including retail and investment banks, insurance companies and government institutions, as well as a number of private companies and individuals.
Matthew’s experience includes previously working as a solicitor in London, in financial markets regulation and in the Lloyd’s of London insurance market. Matthew has extensive experience in structuring and governance issues relating to share incentive schemes of differing forms. His experience also includes the listing and delisting of companies from the JSE Limited, schemes of arrangement involving large South African companies, broad-based black economic empowerment transactions involving large listed companies, as well as advising on general commercial law aspects of listed and unlisted companies. He is also advising several companies on the recent amendment to the JSE Listings Requirements on share incentive schemes.
In addition to Matthew’s general commercial and insurance practice, he provides coverage opinions to both underwriters and policyholders, and also has experience in the relatively new field of warranty and indemnity insurance in the South African M&A market.
Matthew is recorded on the non-practising roll of solicitors in the Supreme Court of England and Wales and is a member of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces in South Africa.
Matthew is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by the following reputable rating agency and its publication:
- Best Lawyers® 2014, 2013, 2012 – Corporate law; 2013 – Private equity (South Africa)
- BBusSc (Hons) (University of Cape Town)
- LLB (University of Cape Town)
- Advanced Certificate in Company Law I (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Advanced Certificate in Company Law II (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales (non-practising)
Years of experience