Ian Hayes is a director and joint head of ENSafrica’s corporate commercial department, which is the largest department of its kind in Africa. Ian specialises in mergers and acquisitions, takeovers, formation and initial structuring of new business entities, private equity acquisitions and disposals, and corporate finance.
Ian’s experience includes advising on private equity acquisitions and disposals, empowerment transactions, corporate restructuring, corporate governance, the South African Companies Act, equity capital markets and stock exchange transactions in various sectors, including mining, healthcare and telecommunications.
Ian has an impressive client list, which includes Vodacom, Harmony, Ethos Private Equity, RMB Ventures, Actis, Capitalworks, Kleoss Capital, Business Connexion, Universal Healthcare, Ampath, African Alliance, Beefmaster, Edcon, Gold Brands, Imara Capital, Mpact, Transpaco, Sentula and DRDGOLD.
Ian is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers and Partners Global Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 – Corporate: Mergers and Acquisitions (South Africa)
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide 2017, 2016 – Leading Lawyer (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 Guide to Outstanding Lawyers 2016, 2015, 2014 – Corporate Commercial: Mergers and Acquisitions, Mining (South Africa)
- IFLR1000 Energy and Infrastructure Guide 2016, 2015 – Leading Lawyer (South Africa)
- IFLR1000 Petroleum Economist: Africa Energy and Infrastructure Guide 2014 – Capital Markets, Mergers and Acquisitions, Restructuring and Insolvency, Mining, Power and Social Infrastructure (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2016 – Corporate Law (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2014 – Mergers and Acquisitions (South Africa)
- BA (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Leadership in Professional Service Firms (Harvard Business School)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
Years of experience