Ian Hayes is a director and joint head of ENSafrica’s corporate commercial department. Ian specialises in M&A (across various industries, including the private equity and mining industries), takeovers, structuring and restructuring of business entities, private equity acquisitions and disposals and corporate finance.
Ian’s experience includes advising on private equity acquisitions and disposals, empowerment transactions, corporate restructuring, corporate governance, the South African Companies Act, 2008, IPOs, ECM and stock exchange transactions in multiple sectors, including mining, banking and financial services, healthcare and telecommunications.
Ian has an impressive client list, which includes Vodacom, Harmony, Kumba, Ethos Private Equity, RMB Ventures, Actis, Blue Spec, Capitalworks, Kleoss Capital, Business Connexion, Universal Healthcare, Ampath, African Alliance, Beefmaster, Edcon, Imara Capital, Mpact and Transpaco.
Ian is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide (including Energy and Infrastructure) 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded (South Africa)
- Chambers Global Guide 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Corporate: M&A (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2018 – Corporate, M&A, 2017 – Corporate Lawyer of the Year; Corporate, M&A; 2016 – Corporate (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2017, 2016, 2015 – Corporate Commercial: M&A, Mining (South Africa)
- BA (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Leadership in Professional Service Firms (Harvard Business School)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
Years of experience