Ian Hayes is a director and joint business unit head of the corporate commercial practice in the firm.
Ian specialises in M&A and has worked across sectors, from private equity to mining, healthcare and telecommunications. His deals span the full ambit of M&A and corporate and commercial work including takeovers, structuring and restructuring of business entities, IPOs, private equity acquisitions and disposals, as well as general corporate finance matters.
Ian has an extensive list of clients garnered from his years of experience. Some clients include; Vodacom, Harmony, Kumba, Telkom, Edcon, Ethos, RMB Ventures, Actis, Blue Spec, Capitalworks, Kleoss Capital, Business Connexion, Wescoal, Universal Healthcare, Ampath, African Alliance, Beefmaster, Imara Capital, Mpact and Transpaco.
Ian is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide (including Energy and Infrastructure) 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded (South Africa)
- Chambers Global Guide 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Corporate: M&A (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2018 – Corporate, M&A, 2017 – Corporate Lawyer of the Year; Corporate,M&A, 2016 – Corporate (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Corporate Commercial: M&A, Mining (South Africa)
- BA (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Leadership in Professional Service Firms (Harvard Business School)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
Years of experience