Clinton van Loggerenberg is a director in ENSafrica’s banking and finance department. He specialises in banking, derivatives, capital markets, finance, structured finance, collective investment schemes, financial markets, exchange control and regulatory work.
He has acted for a number of local and international banks in establishing operations in South Africa, as well as bank mergers and acquisitions. He was lead South African counsel when Barclays Plc acquired a majority stake in Absa Capital Limited, at the time, the largest foreign direct investment into South Africa (deal value at the time was approximately ZAR 33 billion).
Clinton assisted the Banking Association of South Africa with the drafting of the current Section 35B of the Insolvency Act, which ensured that post-insolvency netting may take place in respect of certain derivatives contracts.
Clinton regularly assists financial institutions with the raising of finance and the granting of loans. His practice experience includes advising dealers, arrangers and issuers (including BMW on its ZAR 2.5 billion bond issue and Sasol on its US$ 1 billion bond issue), on DMTN Programmes and Securitisations, Euro Note Programmes, as well as advising various banks on capital-qualifying loans including Sasfin Bank Limited concerning its Tier 2 capital-qualifying loan from the International Finance Corporation.
He is the author of a number of published Annexures for the International Swaps and Derivatives Association, and was the original author of the Credit Support Documentation opinion for South Africa. He has also co-authored the South African Legislation Guide for South Africa in the IFLR1000 2010 Guide to the World's Leading Advisors. He has acted as local counsel to ISDA, the International Capital Markets Association and the Securities Lending and Repo Committee.
Clinton is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2017, 2016, 2015 – Capital Markets: Debt (South Africa)
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide 2017, 2016, 2015 – Leading Lawyer (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2016 – Banking and Finance (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2017, 2016 – Banking and Finance (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2017 – Capital Markets; 2016 – Banking: Regulatory; Capital Markets: Structured Finance, Debt and Equity (South Africa)
- BA (Law) (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
Years of experience