Beric Croome is an executive in ENSafrica’s tax department. He specialises in corporate tax, employee incentives and benefits, employment tax, personal tax, trusts and estate planning.
Beric advises clients on South African Revenue Service (“SARS”) audits, objections and appeals, and represents clients in alternative dispute resolution proceedings. He also acts for, and advises clients on, their dealings SARS, taxpayers’ rights, income tax, value-added tax (“VAT”), pay-as-you-earn (“PAYE”) and other fiscal statutes, as well as exchange control matters and the tax consequences of foreign investments.
Beric has authored and co-authored several books, including Taxpayers' Rights in South Africa, which aims to evaluate how the powers of SARS function in relation to taxpayers’ rights; Tax Administration, written together with Professor Lynette Olivier; and Tax Law: an Introduction.
Beric is a member of the editorial panel of The South African Institute of Chartered Accountants’ (“SAICA’s”) tax publication, Integritax. In 2013, he was appointed as chair of SAICA’s Tax Administration sub-committee, and he also serves on the National Tax Policy committee of the South African Institute of Tax Practitioners. He has spoken at international and local conferences, including providing the keynote address at a graduation ceremony at the University of the Witwatersrand’s Faculty of Commerce, Law and Management.
Beric was a nominee for the University of the Witwatersrand Convocation Honour Award for his contribution to commerce and industry.
Beric is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by:
- Chambers Global Guide 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Tax (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2018, 2017, 2016 – Tax (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2016, 2015 – Corporate Tax: Advisory (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2016 – Corporate Tax: Controversy (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 – Tax (South Africa)
- Tax Directors Handbook TDG250 2016 – Tax (South Africa)
- BCom (University of Cape Town)
- Certificate in Theory of Accounting (University of Cape Town)
- BProc (University of South Africa)
- LLB (University of South Africa)
- Higher Diploma (Tax Law) (cum laude) (University of the Witwatersrand)
- PhD in Commercial Law (University of Cape Town)
- CA (SA)
- FCMA (UK)
- MTP (SA)
Admitted as an advocate of the High Court of South Africa
Years of experience